Perfect Decks For Complimenting Your Home And The Home Inspector
A beautiful deck not only enhances the look of your home, it is practically of great use and purpose. But you must keep your deck prim and proper to raise the overall stature of your house. As your deck is located outside your home it is more vulnerable to external weather conditions like snow, rain, scorching rays of the sun and other harsh elements. So a thorough inspection of your deck is necessary for the betterment of the overall health of your home.
The Rules And Regulations
Remember to avail a permit before you start up with the construction of your deck to maintain the structural efficacy of your home. After you get the permit, a building inspector will conduct a survey of your building to see whether your construction is in accordance with the stamped design or not.
- If you have constructed your deck without obtaining a permit then immediately try to get a permit.
- Be wary to hire a contractor who is not only apt in his or job but has the necessary license too.
However, if you want to go for a detailed checkup for your deck contact any licensed home inspection service for the job
Tips For Maintaining Your Deck And Making Your Deck Inspection A Success
- Carry on regular examination of your deck to check whether there are any loose or perished components.
- The deck is structurally connected to the main building; ensure that the connections are safe and sound against deterioration
- Keep the plumbing in well condition
- Look for signs of water infiltration where the deck floor is at the level of your interior floor and look for a positive pitch of the deck away from the exterior world.
- Firstly, install handrails on stairs with more than three steps. Check the stability of the staircases and handrails regularly. Check the steel staircase for rust and replace the deteriorated stairs
- Inspect your wooden staircase for the imminent signs of moulds and rot
- The railings should be solidly bolted to the deck and see that all pickets are secure
- Follow the code and install the required guard according to the height of the deck and construct the handrail gaps according to the ruled measure.
- Try to keep the tread depths and the stair riser heights uniform and avoid water holding
- It is also necessary to visually check the positive connections at the top and bottom of the stairs, which should not be inadequate. If you have notched stringers, the solid bottom segment must be connected to the deck
- Do not burden your deck with excessive loads and do not put the board under extreme vibrations.
However, there are other problems you will face in the maintenance process of your deck like:
The Aquatic Problem
Generally the deck is attached to your house without flashing and spacing making it pre disposed to water filtration, which are the potential causes of rot. More dangerous is when water freezes in the pocket, it can cause harm to even vinyl and aluminum sidings.
But You Can Follow Certain Methods To Prevent This Mishap
You can place the board away from the home and fill up the boltholes with silicon or some other sealant before inserting the bolts. You can do this by making the water drain off between the deck and the siding and forcing the water to reel off the siding by installing a flashing cap angling it out on the top, bending it down on the face and carving it several inches under the siding.
If you can install a freestanding deck, which is not attached to the house, frame your deck independently and metal decks just suit this type fine.
Support The Support Post Well
When you insert the support post in the ground, you pour concrete around the post establishing a pocket for water collection. The posts absorb the water and are exposed to rot. In colder zones water freezes causing cracks in the concrete. Don't think that with pressure-treated wood you can avoid this problem.
Maintain Your Wood Deck And Come Out Of The Inspection With Success
The life and condition of your wood deck depends on the type or species of the wood used. Redwood and cedar can naturally fight extreme climatic conditions without any stains or chemical preservatives.
Your wood deck will expand and contract as per the climate causing pulling out of nails and board warp. Reinstall the pulled pegs and nail down the warped boards
If you have gaps in your deck it can collect filth, which can absorb water thus causing decay. So clear the gaps with pressure wash once a year to avoid this.
If you want to go for a power wash be careful that the grains are not raised
Use a mixture of bleach and water to kill mildews
Use chemicals with care on your wooden deck
Protect your wooden deck with UV guard sealers or stain pigments and make it live longer. But sealers are not eternal and their life is affected by climates and exposure. So re coat your deck with sealants every year
So magnify the charm of your abode with a gorgeous and flawless deck